Wednesday, September 3, 2008

145: Trial of a Timelord - Mindwarp

9/3/08

Ho boy. Where to begin. So the plot for this one is that the Doctor is still on trial, and the Valeyard, his prosecutor, shows the court another story from the Doctor's past where the Doctor and Peri end up on the planet Thoros-Beta, the home planet of the creepy little freak Sil, who was seen in Vengeance on Varos. There's a scientist doing experiments on the natives as well as working on switching brains into different bodies to prolong life...some strange stuff that the Doctor needs to put a stop to. Along the way, they encounter some rebels and a huge man named King Yrcanos, played by Brian Blessed, who I loved as Robin Hood's dad in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and who can also been seen in similar shows to Doctor Who like Blake's 7 and Space 1999. But I digress.
The plot of this episode is so secondary to the emotions that I have for it that I don't even feel the need to explain it any further. Suffice it to say that something very bad and very wrong happens in this episode that really soured my mood on this whole Trial of A Timelord story.

SPOILERS AHEAD.







They killed Peri! Not really killed her as such, but she had a brain that was not her own placed inside of her newly shaved head and everything she ceased to be was destroyed with her old brain. Now, there is a coda to this story that pops up in a couple of stories, but it's ridiculous. I left this story feeling totally abandoned by the writers of this show. It was just mean! But I'll address this more in the post for the final part of this story.

As for my rating? Not impressed, and I found this story to have a decidedly mean streak to it. I give it a 4/10.

No comments: