Sunday, August 9, 2009

148 - Time And the Rani


8/9/09

If you are paying attention to the dates, you will see that it has been almost a year since I last posted on this blog. I didn't intend for it to take so long, but when I last tried to watch the first Sylvester McCoy story, it was so terrible that it put me off for a very long time.

Seriously, this is a very bad story. I mean, it's cool that we get to see the Rani again, and I like Sylvester McCoy as the Doctor, but this is not Doctor Who! This is some sort of base, cheap children's entertainment, not my beloved Doctor. You can tell money is not what it was from the very beginning, even though there is a cool new computer animated opening sequence. Colin Baker, wisely, refused to film a regeneration scene, and so they did a crap job of putting a blond wig on McCoy and filming him quickly and shakily, and from there, it's all downhill. The plot is thin and corny. The Rani is trying to use the minds of some of the universe's most powerful thinkers to create a time device (I think) and a bunch of locals on this planet get caught up in it. But honestly, I thought the whole thing was tedious, hard to follow, and laughably juvenile, something that Doctor Who never was. There is a difference between family friendly and childish, and what we have here just seems childish.

*shudder*

Well, my hopes are not high. This is not a good way to start a season, but we'll see if it gets any better. My rating is...

3/10

No comments: