Tuesday, August 12, 2008

129: The King's Demons

8/12/08

The TARDIS materializes in the 1215 in England. King John is to soon sign the Magna Carta and change things forever, but the Master doesn't want that to happen...

This episode had it all for me. I am a huge fan of Medieval stories and this delivered in spades. We have knights, armor, castles, jousting, duels, heraldry, an iron maiden, and a one on one sword fight between the Master and the Doctor. I ask you, what more can you want?

Also, central to the plot is the robot named Kamelion. He was amazing in his appearance, as it was a fully working robot that had moving lips and moving limbs. He was set to be a companion on the show and was welcomed into the TARDIS, but shortly after this story, the real life creator of the Kamelion was killed in a boating accident and no one else was able to get the robot to work as well as he could, so he was pretty much written out. He appears briefly in the final Peter Davison series, but was never the companion he was intended to be.

The story served as the season finale, and while it was only a two parter, I must say that I absolutely loved it. I think they've used The Master a bit too much in this Peter Davison era, but that can be forgiven, because Anthony Ainley is such an amazing bad guy.

I'm giving this episode an 8/10.

Rest in peace, Kamelion.

No comments: