Thursday, August 7, 2008

119: Kinda

8/6/08

119: Kinda

No sir. I don’t like it. What we’re given here is a story that takes place in the mental world just as much as it does in the physical world, and while that may work well on a page, I didn’t like the way it was executed on film. Basically, the concept is this: the Doctor lands on a planet that is more or less a jungle. There is an outpost run by a military organization who monitor the actions of the Kinda, who are the local primitive tribesmen, and who also happen to be telepathic. An evil entity known as Mara is taking over people’s mind and using them, possessing them, in a sense. The Doctor must get to the bottom of it and save the day.

For me, the main reason I disliked the episode was a lack of what I would consider a good plot device. What we are given just doesn’t do much for me, and neither does the plot device of going into the mental plane, which basically means the contrast of the video has been over exposed so that we can barely make out what we are seeing. I thought it was pretentious, but I tend to think that about things when I feel like someone is coming off a bit too big for their intellectual britches. I understand the goal, but I just think it’s flat and boring, and I was constantly checking my watch, being distracted by things around the room, and in general, waiting for it to end.

I read a review of this episode in which the reviewer said that he didn’t understand this story or what it was trying to say until after a couple of dozen viewings. I can assure you, I myself can’t imagine giving it a second viewing.

*Sonic Shenanigans: None. I read somewhere online that one of the writers was making an effort to phase out the Sonic Screwdriver, and that shows in this episode.

Rating: 2/10

4 comments:

T Mafia said...

Dude, this was the highlight of Davison's first season! Well, next to Castrovalva, anyway.

I thought those mindspace scenes with the Mara were disturbing as hell; Hindle's escalating madness even more so.

Hell, I even liked the rubber snake.

Heath Holland said...

Well, these things are subjective. I thought it was a travesty, but it just goes to show that one man's trash is another man's treasure.

T Mafia said...

Indeed.

*cough*TimeFlight*cough*

Actually, whether I'm agreeing or disagreeing with your assessments, you must be doing something right 'cause this site makes me wanna go back and re-watch the whole (criminally underrated) Davison run.

Heath Holland said...

You should! It's a heck of a journey. I'd never watched the bulk of his stuff, that's why I started with him. Everyone watches Tom Baker, but I think I'll save him for last as I rewatch everyone else's stories. Good stuff.